Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Increasing your Personal Knowledge with Plaid - by Guest Blogger Chris Hanes


Guest Bloggers – Chris Hanes, Vice President and Chief Learning Officer, Plaid, LLC & Wilson Wong, President, Plaid, LLC
 
 

One of the four pieces of Delta Zeta’s Purpose is the pursuit of knowledge. A very important part of the college experience is a member’s personal growth through academics. Equally important to a member’s growth are the life lessons that she experiences through interactions with others. Delta Zeta is an ideal venue for this area of personal growth.

Plaid, LLC (www.beingplaid.com)  is an organization which helps individuals and groups become better.  We at Plaid are honored and delighted to partner alongside Delta Zeta to provide training and insights to you in your pursuit of personal knowledge. Delta Zeta’s collegiate chapter presidents were just exposed to the power of personal knowledge with their participation in Plaid programming at the Chapter Presidents Academy in February. By taking the personal assessment known as the Birkman Method, participants explored how their differences, represented by colors, come together to create a “plaid.” Staff from Plaid helped participants explore how, through increased self-awareness, they can become better leaders.


In our perspective, there are three major types of relationships we have in life:

1) Relationship with self - We all are always having conflict with ourselves.
  • I want to stay fit but I love chocolate cake (with ice cream, please).
  • I am a noisy, rambunctious person but I need to stay civil during meetings.
  • I can't believe I just did that. What was I thinking?
2) Relationships with others - We are discovering an array of relationships with new friends and acquaintances.
  • I have a new best friend who really seems to be different from me, and I don't want to do anything wrong to jeopardize our friendship.
  • I really want to get along better with all my sisters.
  • I would like to better relate with some of my teachers, especially in the classes that I am struggling in.
  • My parents? Don't even get me started!
  • I can't believe they just did that! What were they thinking?
3) Relationships with the things we do - We will always be trying to accomplish something.
  • I would like to know how to become a better leader.
  • I would like to be able to perform my tasks better.
  • I would like to study more productively and effectively.
  • I would like to figure out my career path.
  • Why is all this so difficult?
The time you take to reflect on all of these statements, or those you create, leads to a greater knowledge of self. Just as it is important to prepare for your academic classes while in college, it is important to prepare for your personal growth. Personal growth, like Delta Zeta, begins in college, but is a life-long journey. Plaid is pleased to continue to partner with Delta Zeta to assist you in your life journey.

For more information about Plaid, please visit our website at www.beingplaid.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter. We look forward to hearing what you have to say about your personal growth and want to help you on your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment