Friday, May 11, 2012

Honoring our Delta Zeta Mothers


Delta Zeta has a long history of mother-daughter legacy connections. In 1923, Epsilon Chapter at Indiana University pledged Delta Zeta’s first daughter legacy, Edith Cummings, daughter of Lois Crowther Cummings, who was initiated into Epsilon Chapter in 1910 as an alumna. Some Delta Zeta sisterly connections are made when a daughter is initiated at Convention. In 1933, Founder Julia Bishop Coleman’s eldest daughter, Mary, was the Convention Initiate at the gathering in Chicago. Delta Zeta moms and daughters share a special bond to this day. We wanted to highlight some in honor of Mother’s Day. Whether you are a biological mother, adopted daughter, or have a special relationship with someone you consider a close as family, we honor you.

Leslie Miller Stoehr, University of South Carolina - Beta Delta 2001, and daughter Stella Reese, 6 months

When I discovered I was pregnant with my first child in early 2011, I dreamed about what my sweet child would look like, what he or she would think of my husband and I and all the memories we would share. Like any new mom, holding Stella for the first time was such a breathtaking moment and I realized my life would never be the same. In a way, these same feelings as a mom hold true for me when I became a Delta Zeta: not knowing what the future holds but grateful because it has changed me for the better. I know no matter what happens, holding the titles of mom and sister will always be a constant in my life.

I'm thankful that my daughter has so many loving, influential women in her life that share our sisterhood because it will shape her as she grows into a beautiful young lady. Of course I would love to make Delta Zeta a legacy in our family because of how it's positively affected my life... what a remarkable bond to share with your daughter! Stella will make many decisions that will impact her future - which college to attend, personal relationships, being involved in Greek Life and yes, even possibly becoming a Delta Zeta - and I look forward to watching her make these choices. 

Janie Sue Williamson Stoutenburg, University of Iowa - Iota 1969, and mother Hazel Klein Williamson University of Iowa - Iota 1927

Both my mother, Hazel Kline Williamson, and I joined the Iota chapter at the University of Iowa. My mother helped move into the first chapter house on campus. Over the years the house changed locations several times, including the one when I pledged, but the chapter has now returned to that very same house.  Mom helped establish a very active Quad-Cities alumni chapter
that helped Iota for many decades. She lived long enough to be a Golden Rose, a Pearl, and a Diamond member.

I have been active with the very wonderful sisters of The Surfing Sisters of Delta Zeta. They are such a fantastic, supportive group of women of all ages, interests, occupations, and beliefs who provide caring, interesting, and challenging ideas and feedback. Although Delta Zeta was fantastic in college, it has come to mean so much more to me as I have grown and matured over the years, finding very necessary guidance in our creed and goals. Hopefully I have made Delta Zeta at least a small part as proud of me, and my accomplishments, as I am of YOU!

Frances Boudreaux, Louisiana State University - Sigma 2010 and mother Susan Boudreaux, Louisiana Tech University - Theta Epsilon 1985

Joining my mother's sisterhood was something I'd always dreamt of. I vividly remember reading her copies of The LAMP throughout my childhood and imagining what it would be like to be in a sorority. While going through recruitment at Louisiana State University, my mom encouraged me to go through the process with an open mind and was incredibly supportive of each choice that I made. She was incredibly excited when I joined Delta Zeta and I believe it meant more to her than I will ever know. After joining Delta Zeta, she isn't just my mother, she's also now my sister. Becoming a part of her sisterhood has definitely brought us much closer together and I will forever be grateful for that.

Jean Funck Person, University of New Orleans - Theta Kappa 1974 and daughters Meghan Person Walsh, Miami University -  Alpha 2003 and Maura Person, Miami University - Alpha 2005

I never presumed that my daughters would become Delta Zetas; we attended different schools. I just wanted them to be happy, and have positive college and Greek experiences. I was thrilled when they pledged and it was a joy to share initiation with them. At Meghan’s wedding, my sisters (their Delta Zeta “aunts”) joined her sisters and we had a great time transcending the generations. That’s what it’s all about!


Melissa Miller, University of Illinois - Alpha Beta 2001, and mother Shelia Crowley Miller – University of Illinois -  Alpha Beta 1972

I actually went through recruitment thinking that I didn't want to join the same chapter as my mom. However, once I went through Preference, I knew it was the place for me. I learned a lot when she would visit and tell me how it was different and about her experience. I feel lucky and got to know my mom better being in the same chapter as her. 



No comments:

Post a Comment